“What We Say” by Daniel Alexandre


PLEASE ACCESS VIDEO HERE:


(Words, music and production by Daniel Alexandre)


QUESTIONS BY TERENCE RYAN

Music/melody or words come first?

The melody came first. I remember it sort of buzzing in my head. It was very dramatic and heavy but I didn't have the words just yet. I will say that the words came almost immediately after the melody.

What was going through your mind at the time of creating?

I was feeling overwhelmed by all the videos and images of police treating civilians like prey. I was tired of answering text messages from my well-intending white colleagues. I was surprised to find out how many of my Facebook friends were asking "Why is it 'Black Lives Matter'? Why can't we say All Lives Matter?"

What was your goal in releasing the song? 

When we started putting the video together, it became so much more about sharing the video, over the song. I wanted people to see how disgustingly similar our history is to our present. I'm hoping the video inspires us to make drastic changes that will positively impact the future of Black people in America. I'm hoping the song becomes a chant of sorts as well. 

What do you want this song to invoke in the listener? 

I want the listener to hear and experience our pain. So many songs have been written for the purpose of entertainment and artistic consumption, but I want people to understand the simplicity of our plea. How many other people have had to write songs, explaining their need to simply exist? 

Are you currently writing more material in the same vein?

I'm starting to accept my responsibility as an artist to capture the moments as they come. I often jot down stanzas and poems as my emotions boil up to a point where writing is the necessary release. So long as the focus is on improving the conditions of Black lives, that's what my writing will continue to be about.

How much time did you spend recording/polishing?

The words and melody were completed in a matter of hours. I then spent a few hours the next day laying multiple parts down, vocals, pianos, strings, Rhodes, synths, whatever I felt best expressed the sorrow in the melody. I sent that convoluted Logic session to Terence as well as a few of my friends who I wanted to have sing background. Over the course of about 21 (quarantined) days, we were able to create the polished product above. I'm very proud and very grateful for the people who have contributed their time and their talents to this project. (Shoutout: TessaTammyTrevor, & Victor)

Who would you dream of having on the remix? 

I'm currently working on the production of the song and I'm really leaning more into the hip-hop side of things to provide the appropriate canvas for some rappers that I admire. I'd want the remix to feature verses from Najee JaneyCakeSwaggSav-BLenny Dortch, and a few others. I'm open to other suggestions as well, just reach out to me!

Are there any specific artists/songs that inspired it musically/lyrically?  

I can't necessarily pinpoint where the musical influences come from, I'm sure they're just an amalgamation of all my different musical interests. I'm certain that the lyrics come from my days of studying protests songs in my songwriting class at Wheaton College. We learned about the utility of repetition and how introducing different elements carefully throughout the song can keep the listener engaged. 

How do you hope this song affects / will affect the current climate of unveiling and uprising in this country? 

I hope it makes people angry at our past, disgusted with our present, and practical about our future. It's kind of like pulling the refrigerator away from the wall; you know its dirty back there and you know that as soon as you do, you'll have some work to do to clean it up. That mess is racism in America; in our schools, in our government and in our everyday lives. Let's work together to clean up the mess by ending qualified immunity for law enforcement, defunding the police and reallocating resources to poorer neighborhoods, arrest the men who murdered Breonna Taylor, and live as if Black Lives Matter in America! 


Daniel Alexandre is a member of the Advisory Board of the Center for “Race,” Culture and Social Justice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Pygmalion and Waifu: Exploring the Racial and Gendered Practice of Generative AI Image Making" by Russell Chun

“My Traveling and Research into Black History Blog Summer ‘23” By Lisa Merrill

“Mental Health Awareness for Students of Color” by Sasha Ferdinand