My visit to Hofstra University’s Center for “Race,” Culture and Social Justice By professor Sandra O. de Toledo Leite, Piracicaba, Brazil

Arriving to Hofstra University, and visiting the Center of “Race,” Culture and Social Justice as scholar in residency, was a unique experience for me since the beginning. I was hosted on the first day by one of the Center’s directors, professor Benita Sampedro, who provided me with office space to work during my stay, to prepare for meetings, teaching sessions and interviews. She was very welcoming from the star, and attentive all throughout, what made me feel very comfortable during my entire residency. 
I especially appreciated the invitation to teach one of professor Sampedro’s classes, where I talked to her students about some aspects of Brazilian identity as displayed in contemporary art. It was an amazing opportunity for me to engage in dialogue with her students about Brazilian culture, in a course and program about Latin American Studies with a focus on the Spanish-speaking world. In my presentation, I provided examples from literature, music and the plastic arts. Through literature, Brazil found its first national hero in the figure of the native Indians, through arts and music (samba and bossa nova in particular), Brazilians found their way of protesting against injustices and against the marginalization of the country’s minorities. The students expressed deep interest for the topic and responded with engaging questions. I believe that most of the students in that class asked at least one question following my presentation, and that impressed me.
I consider my stay at Hofstra University very successful and I appreciate the opportunity I was granted. I specially thank professor Tomeka Robinson for making it all possible, and professor Benita Sampedro and the other Center’s directors and student fellows for all their support at the Center for “Race,” Culture and Social Justice. I also thank Hofstra University for having us as Visiting Scholars for two weeks from September 26 to October 9, 2019. It was, overall, a very enriching experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Pygmalion and Waifu: Exploring the Racial and Gendered Practice of Generative AI Image Making" by Russell Chun

“My Traveling and Research into Black History Blog Summer ‘23” By Lisa Merrill

“Mental Health Awareness for Students of Color” by Sasha Ferdinand